Mormon Discussions

Mormon Discussions...because we all want the truth.Here is a place of free discussion. Whether you want to discuss the finer intricacies of doctrine, or whether you want to discuss the truthiness of the church in general, your word will be heard here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elder Holland Admits Temple Ordinances Comparable to Masons

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

What do you think of the fact that, when confronted in the BBC interview with the fact that the temple penalties seem Masonic, Elder Holland admitted they were "comparable" and "similar" to the Masons?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

View user profile
consiglieri wrote:What do you think of the fact that, when confronted in the BBC interview with the fact that the temple penalties seem Masonic, Elder Holland admitted they were "comparable" and "similar" to the Masons?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Which BBC interview was this, Consig? Was the BBC special, "The Mormons", or some other interview? I don't remember that.

In some ways, it really shouldn't surprise us. I will have to research the source, but I remember reading that Joseph Smith and/or Brigham Young stated that the Masonic ceremonies were based on the ceremonies which occurred in Solomon's temple. Our temple ceremonies are, according the Joseph and Brigham, the correct ceremonies and processes.

View user profile http://mormondiscussions.forumotion.com
Sorry to not be more specific. Yes, it is the recently posted and much buzzed about BBC documentary about Mitt Romney.

(What's the buzz? Tell me what's happening.)

You are right about the quotes from Joseph and Brigham, but I think those are things the modern Church would rather not acknowledge.

At least I haven't heard anything about it in a formal church setting during my 34-years as a member . . .

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

View user profile
consiglieri wrote:Sorry to not be more specific. Yes, it is the recently posted and much buzzed about BBC documentary about Mitt Romney.

(What's the buzz? Tell me what's happening.)

You are right about the quotes from Joseph and Brigham, but I think those are things the modern Church would rather not acknowledge.

At least I haven't heard anything about it in a formal church setting during my 34-years as a member . . .

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I really need to watch that interview.

As far as the quotes from Joseph and Brigham...the first time I heard about those was at an informal gathering of seminary and institute students. I remember being in High School at the time. Of course, I'm old....48..LOL lol! .....and a life-long member.

I have actually never heard of these quotes in a strictly public setting. However, when I first heard about the issue with Solomon's temple and the Masons, I remember thinking that, at least at the time, it seemed to be something that was common knowledge among members.

It is interesting to me how a lot of the unique elements of the Church have been "watered down" over the years. I wish they would talk about these types of things more.

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=OnrUWd_XLQI&t=29m38s

Replace the (dot) with .

It should take you right there. Hopefully someone with permissions can post the direct link.

View user profile
Stormy Waters wrote:www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=OnrUWd_XLQI&t=29m38s

Replace the (dot) with .

It should take you right there. Hopefully someone with permissions can post the direct link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrUWd_XLQI&t=29m38s

AdminLiz wrote:
Stormy Waters wrote:www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=OnrUWd_XLQI&t=29m38s

Replace the (dot) with .

Thanks AdminLiz!

View user profile

kamenrai

"Osama... I mean... President Obama." LOL!

I think that was a good indicator of how rattled Holland was getting.

Not only that, it was after Holland had completely turned the issue away from the penalties being made as an expression of keeping the secrets of the ordinances, and trying to make it into some kind of faith pledge, likening it unto what everybody does.

I'm not sure it washed too well.

Not even in the wet wash.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

View user profile
Being raised in the church I guess I've always looked at the apostles with a degree of reverence. Seeing Holland struggle with the various questions in this interview really drove home the realization that these guys are only human. This is probably the reason they don't do a lot of interviews.

View user profile
And the reason they won't be doing any in the future.

View user profile
What do you think of the fact that, when confronted in the BBC interview with the fact that the temple penalties seem Masonic, Elder Holland admitted they were "comparable" and "similar" to the Masons?

Not much. Masons may have ancient traditions that may stem from same spiritual source but they have lost the meaning. Association with Freemasonry is certainly no bad thing, anti Masonry, like anti Mormonism, being based on hoaxes, jealousy, or the need for a scapegoat.

View user profile
bcspace wrote:

Not much. Masons may have ancient traditions that may stem from same spiritual source but they have lost the meaning. Association with Freemasonry is certainly no bad thing, anti Masonry, like anti Mormonism, being based on hoaxes, jealousy, or the need for a scapegoat.

I'm not sure I'd characterize the 14th century as ancient. Very old, certainly.

The "spiritual source" was artisans wanting to be able to identify each other for purposes of getting paid and keeping amateurs from being able to claim to be expert in the craft in the days before photo ID. Are you saying that's the spiritual source of Mormonism too?

View user profile
I'm not sure I'd characterize the 14th century as ancient. Very old, certainly

That's only when they became more popular than just a few small groups here and there.

The "spiritual source" was artisans wanting to be able to identify each other for purposes of getting paid and keeping amateurs from being able to claim to be expert in the craft in the days before photo ID. Are you saying that's the spiritual source of Mormonism too?

Of course not.

View user profile
bcspace wrote:
I'm not sure I'd characterize the 14th century as ancient. Very old, certainly

That's only when they became more popular than just a few small groups here and there.

Are you one of those Mormons who thinks the Masons built Solomon's temple?

View user profile
I'm one of those Mormons who think Masons built the Nauvoo Temple.

View user profile
Good thing it did not proceed from the Cord Wangers Guild or we would still be learning the ropes.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum