Mormon Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mormon Discussions

Mormon Discussions...because we all want the truth.Here is a place of free discussion. Whether you want to discuss the finer intricacies of doctrine, or whether you want to discuss the truthiness of the church in general, your word will be heard here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stayin' Alive

+5
Meadowchik
Dr. Shades
Andrew Gillum
honor_entheos
MsJack
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stayin' Alive  Empty Stayin' Alive Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Chickdeario

Thought I'd start a thread in case anyone shows up around here. According to the real time map, the US jumped 10K cases overnight.

I know we're building the curve. I have to wonder if we stand a chance of flattening it? I wonder how we're doing in terms of flattening the curve compared to other countries? I can't really tell by the charts I'm seeing.

Meanwhile...a little music for inspiration. Travolta strut a nice bonus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfwQ_7xqO7Y

2Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:00 pm

MsJack

My son came down with a low-grade fever Wednesday night. It was intermittent and responded well to Tylenol. It seemed to clear up Friday afternoon. No sign of it all weekend.

Monday at about 3:30 pm, it came back higher than before. I rushed him to the doctor. Flu test negative. They won't test him for COVID because his symptoms are mild and tests are still in short supply. They did say they'd test me or his sister because she has 22q and I'm pregnant.

Really scared right now, just waiting for someone else in the house to start showing symptoms.

3Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm

honor_entheos

I'm sorry to hear that, MsJack. I hope it turns out to be something more common and easily treatable.

I was curious to hear if EA had made any progress on testing for him or his SO. I guess the internets decided there was too much truth happening on MDB and put an end to it. At least until Shades can get Keene or Mav to fix it. Which raises the interesting question of their being incapacitated? Perhaps like many other things going this is a wake up call suggesting redundancy in board operations is not just a good thought but existential.

4Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Chickdeario

We're on lock down/stay at home orders! The whole entire state! I'm so stinkin' happy I can't even believe it!

Interestingly enough, I emailed both the mayor and governor last night.

They listened to me! They did! I know they did!

cheers

5Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:05 am

MeDotBored

MeDotBored

Instead of testing for the presence of the virus itself, some are suggesting blood anti-body testing. This would involve a blood draw instead of a swab, but results can be processed much more quickly. In areas where this has been done, people who were asymptomatic were found with the antibodies for the virus, indicating their bodies had fought it off.

Testing testing testing. We're living in the Information Age. Lifting social distancing restrictions without adequate data indicating it is safe to do so is willful blindness. We are at war. Hand sanitizer, Personal Protective Equipment, Ventilators and Virus/Antibody tests are the weapons to fight that war. Why on earth there is not a National Mobilization Effort led by the Federal Government for the production of those items is beyond me.

6Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Andrew Gillum

I think 3 weeks at home with the wife and kids is going to be more challenging than going without a paycheck. I wish there were some way I could go back to work. I wanted to go back to delivering pizza but of course my wife and mother wouldn't allow it. Too dangerous, they say.

You never get a real break at home or enough time to realistically complete a project. At any moment you could be called to jump up and do for someone else. It doesn't stop.

7Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:45 am

Chickdeario

About 2 weeks ago I was keyed up about everything--making sure we had what we need on hand. I got so keyed up that one day that I didn't pay attention to what I was doing throughout the day and ended up at the ER wrecking my long stretch of 8 months with no AFIB and getting my heart shocked. Then, started getting weepy at night and all. I'm not gonna lie about it.

Then we got the shelter in place order.

I've gotten to the point where I am absolutely loving being sheltered in place. I feel a sense of total contentment and peace. I don't have to be anywhere or do anything off the property. I've been working an online class, started two lists of things to do...

things that need doing and things just for fun.

I don't know about anyone else but there's always something that needs doing around here and I tend to procrastinate or I get interrupted and lose my groove. Now I can do what I want for however long I want and the only person who can interrupt me and make me lose my groove---is me. And, I can take my time doing whatever it is.

When I take a step back and see how the world is changing I am stunned. Not only because people are becoming ill and/or dying but also for all the good I see happening in the world right now. So many things I couldn't possibly list them all.

I could try listing some of the local gestures...

People reaching out for help and people responding to whatever the need is--baby wipes, tylenol for a feverish child with strep, jigsaw puzzles, sour dough starters, and just all kinds of things.

Teachers parading through the district's neighborhoods with streamers and balloons all over their cars to drive by their student's homes.

The local radio station holding a "dance party on the porch" session where neighbors could all tune into the station and dance on their porches! Made me wish I lived in town right there!

And people posting on my community page that they are giving away free aquaponic greens or that they have eggs or goats milk for sale and aren't price gouging. People saying they're going into town--one woman had 300$ cash and asked if anyone needed anything.  I love you

I put out a call for chlorine bleach because we're trying to stay out of the stores. That's what I'm mainly using to disinfect and we're running low. The local pizza place (10 minutes away) owner just emailed me and is going to put us on his order tomorrow--at cost.

**Insert gratitude emoticon**  I love you  I love you  I love you

People using their neighborhood community book exchange boxes to share non-perishable food with their neighbors who can't get out.

Our local crafters are making thousands of masks right now and there is a strong need for them. People in our town going through their closets to find usable clothing to help replenish fabric supplies for those who are sewing so they don't have to try to dart out to the store or wait for an online order.

My gardeners FB group sharing seeds with each other so folks can get their seeds going without having to visit a store.

The generosity of people here has been overwhelming.

Of course there are the a-holes who are trying to run all sorts of scams but they are greatly outnumbered. Some folks offering to shop for the elderly and making off with their cash. Some guys apparently going door to door to case homes. One guy posted that he wished they'd come over to his house for a visit because he and his Glock are getting lonely. That's Colorado for you!

But overall, people caring about each other and sharing or trading what they have to offer.  I love you  I love you  I love you

Before we got the shelter in place the one and only thing that made my cry was not being able to see my people. My people are my heartbeat. Otherwise I got ready to saddle up and ride this thing out.

But there came unexpected last minute blessings. Just when I needed them and right before we got 'shuttered".

Two days before the SIP I had to drop off something urgent at one kids' house. I visited the family by sitting on the porch and talking through the window.

When the SIP order was issued the next day for the next morning, I realized that I had promised something else urgent to drop off a another kid's house. I knew I better make a run for it and get it over there right away because I had no idea how long we'd be hunkered down for. So I got to see that family too--them up on the deck landing and me below.

I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you  I love you

When I was driving home from that last visit I realized how I had gotten all the practical things taken care of and at the eleventh hour knowing we'd be apart for who knows how long (probably months) God had given me what my heart needed without my ever seeing it coming.  

My feeling heart, not the one that pumps. I cried all the way home with a sense of relief and gratitude.

Now that we know we have to stay home the relief and gratitude continues. I haven't felt so a peace in a full month as I do now. I feel pretty safe and I think we can ride this out okay. I know that one of us could wake up tomorrow feeling ill, have to go into the hospital alone and recover or die alone. But knowing that makes the days that wake up or my people wake up and are okay, that much sweeter and I drink in the simple things.

The feeling of soft cotton covers on my bare feet, the breeze through the window, the time to listen to peaceful youtube videos that I love, taking time to wash dishes by hand when I feel like it or just listening to the quiet out here.

I never loved living out in the sticks as much as I do right now.

I learned to do a few new things the past week or so. I downloaded the bank app and learned how to deposit checks on my phone. I've watched one of my kids do that. Now I can too.  cheers

Today I learned how to use video chat on messenger to visit and play with one of my younger people. I had so much fun playing for an hour. Lord I so needed to play!

I think I'm going to tackle the television next and learn how to use Netflix. There's a thing called The Windsors I want to find out about. But, all I can say is have mercy on me once I find out where HGTV is located because HGTV is one of the reasons I pulled my head out of television probably 10 years ago now. I get addicted to it and then start DIY-ing my behind off.

Which, all things considered, probably isn't a bad thing. I do have quite a lot of paint around, old furniture I can refinish, and there's always my power tools and a stack of old wood outside I could mess around with. I bet I could learn to build something!

I hope you all are doing well. I pray that you feel supported right now. I hope you are able to lean into your relationships or create new ones.

If not...there's always us MDB-ers to talk to!

alien

8Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:00 am

Dr. Shades

Dr. Shades

Teachers parading through the district's neighborhoods with streamers and balloons all over their cars to drive by their student's homes.

How does that help fight the coronavirus?

http://www.mormoninformation.com

9Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 am

Meadowchik

Chickdeario wrote:Thought I'd start a thread in case anyone shows up around here. According to the real time map, the US jumped 10K cases overnight.

I know we're building the curve. I have to wonder if we stand a chance of flattening it? I wonder how we're doing in terms of flattening the curve compared to other countries? I can't really tell by the charts I'm seeing.

I think it is so hard to compare because of the differing testing varying from country to country and state to state. But of course, for the record, I think we have enough information to know that even at the low estimates of infection and critical rates, no country has adequate medical care for those that would need it at this rate of infection.

10Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 am

Meadowchik

Chickdeario wrote:

I put out a call for chlorine bleach because we're trying to stay out of the stores. That's what I'm mainly using to disinfect and we're running low. The local pizza place (10 minutes away) owner just emailed me and is going to put us on his order tomorrow--at cost.

**Insert gratitude emoticon**  I love you  I love you  I love you

I enjoyed reading your post, but I can say something a bit about this part. Here in the UK, people consume an estimated 30 percent of their daily calories by eating out. Therefore, with closures of restaurants, this means a much higher demand for grocery store food. With the UK, which already has a very vulnerable food supply chain, this can represent a significant disruption in the food supply.

Interestingly, friends of mine brought us along to their wholesale supplier a couple weeks ago, so we could stock up on some food.

We are in a city and don't have a car. Last night I went out to the local ASDA (Wal-mart in Europe) and shopped. I happened to return this morning and was pleased to see how quickly many items had already been re-stocked. And for the first time in many grocery store trips, I saw toilet paper! And it's just in time.

My husband is in France and we believe he had a relatively mild case of Covid-19, but he's been free of fever and cough for a week now. We hope he will be back here in about a week.

11Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:41 pm

BretRipley

BretRipley

Dr. Shades wrote:

smh. (Stop making me touch my face! Gah!) Wink

12Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm

Dr. Shades

Dr. Shades

BretRipley wrote:smh. (Stop making me touch my face! Gah!) Wink

And the answer to the original question is. . . ?

13Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm

BretRipley

BretRipley

Dr. Shades wrote:
BretRipley wrote:smh. (Stop making me touch my face! Gah!) Wink

And the answer to the original question is. . . ?
(Gah!)

14Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Dr. Shades

Dr. Shades

BretRipley wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:And the answer to the original question is. . . ?

(Gah!)

???

15Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:06 pm

BretRipley

BretRipley

Dr. Shades wrote:
BretRipley wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:And the answer to the original question is. . . ?

(Gah!)

???
OK, I thought you were pulling my leg. Chickdeario included the "balloons and streamers" item in a list of "good things," a category that the reader is not obliged to equate to "things that help fight the coronavirus." Does that help?

More importantly: I hope you and yours are keeping well.

16Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Chickdeario

Chickdeario wrote: a stack of old wood outside I could mess around with.

I totally scored some wood out of the wood pile! I just need to let it dry out since it has some snow on it so the cat and I turned it over to get some sun on it!  

Gonna try making these:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyk2BTe-1Fc

albino

17Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Chickdeario

Dr. Shades wrote:

This thread isn't about fighting the coronavirus.

18Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 am

MeDotBored

MeDotBored

It is easy to get caught up i the anxiety and worry, especially if you are watching the news for 10 hours a day.

I had this weird thought the other day about what if would have been like for Anne Frank if she had Facebook. Let's face it: The internet can be a great connection tool. I had a video conference with all of the other tour guides that were laid off where I work. It was good to see everyone trying to help each other.

And this IS a great time to do reading, or a project, or meditation. So when life hands you lemons...

We are all going through a trial of the body and the spirit. Tale care of both.

19Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 am

subgenius

subgenius

Chickdeario wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:

This thread isn't about fighting the coronavirus.

The OP and deliberate intent of the thread title disagree.

20Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:29 pm

Chickdeario

So it's going really well over here. I went out to pick up the bleach that the local pizza place ordered for me and I had to go to their location in town. So...that location is what you'd call the suburbs. Lots of family homes, apartments and tons of shopping options/restaurants, gyms. That sort of thing.

I drove down a main highway during rush hour. The traffic was what I'd call extremely light for that time of day. I noticed the retail and grocery store parking lots. Most were completely empty, the grocery store parking lots were what I'd call light. I didn't really take note of restaurant parking.

In any case, I was blown away by how seriously people are taking the shelter in place order. I thought to myself, "Wow. I think this can actually work" in terms of flattening our local curve. I suppose we're going to find out here eventually. In town it looks like they're really leaning into social distancing/shelter in place.

In the exact town I live in (which is an outlying area--the sticks) well it's hard to tell because the houses are so spread out and we only have a handful of stores--convenience store, 4 little food joints, 1 liquor store, feed store, couple of bars. I only saw a few cars in the parking lots and I did see folks walking the dirt roads often with their dogs. But that's nothing unusual around here.

I noticed a huge reduction in air traffic over the house. I don't think I've heard a commercial or commuter jet fly over in a good 2 weeks and not even one military aircraft which is also unusual.

Our county had a total of 285 reported cases, 11 deaths and 273 active cases when I checked earlier today. I wish they'd post the number of recovered and I think the reporting is kind of 'iffy" right now. They say our numbers statewide indicate a slower rate of exponential growth.

I think 2 nursing homes were hit and I suspect the number of cases/deaths have something to do with the elderly. Hard to know since they aren't keeping up with patient descriptions for the public.

In any case, I'm in the zone and enjoying the peace without demands of any kind. I'm someone who could go very long periods without interacting with anyone and actually prefers it so it's not a difficulty for me to stay put and be content.

The cat and I went out to fish more wood out of the wood pile for projects. We have plans to collect (me and the cat--he follows me everywhere cat ) pine cones on Friday or Saturday after the upcoming snow is over with and the cones dry out and re-open. I can't believe how many cones dropped on the property and I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on them. Maybe give the cat a ride in the wheel barrow. There's way too many cones to do it in buckets. I covet things like pine cones, sticks, rocks, leaves and sea shells.

No one knows why. ;-)

I've got some supplies on the way from 2 crafty places. Mostly extra paint that I need, but I've also got some cotton cord coming so I can learn how to weave coasters on a homemade cardboard loom. The rest is for the wood bunnies I want to make and who knows what else--I've got a list of things I want to work on. Once I get in the groove it's hard to break me out of it and right now I have no reason to break out of it! cheers

We're all doing really well here. No one is sick, 3 people are working because they are essential services and another one volunteers for an essential service. We cancelled our gym membership last week. I was pretty sad about that but I've got plenty of land here to get some exercise on so no excuses!

I'm honestly enjoying this period of time but I recognize that people are experiencing great losses and that is the worst thing ever. I know that social distancing and shelter in place orders are hard on people who really need to interact or are living alone and feel isolated.

Just so you guys don't think it's all sweetness and light over here. JB is the complete opposite of me--he craves human interaction. If he's not on the phone talking to people, he's got the tv going non-stop and he's the one who sneaks out every other day. The only time I get worried is when he comes back home but I disinfect everything in the house and that's the best I can do. He wears a mask at the food pantry he volunteers with once a week--we already had them here so we didn't steal any from anyone.

If anyone needs to talk, rant, bitch, moan or just needs interaction, I get email notifications on the two threads I've posted on and if you need someone to hear you I can show up pretty fast so long as I'm checking email.

Stay well everyone and stay the hell home!

21Stayin' Alive  Empty Re: Stayin' Alive Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 am

Chickdeario

We're still kicking over here! It looks like CO overall is doing well since we started staying at home. Haven't seen the inside of Walmart since before the orders. Almost a month? I don't really miss it.

Dying to go to a garden center but I know better. We've got two days of snow predicted starting Easter Sunday through Monday and then a few days later. Can't really plant here until Memorial Day anyway. Hoping by then I can actually pop into Lowes and pick up a couple of plants. If not, I'm holding on to some spider plants to trade in my gardeners group.

I have been to two local little places this week. Wore my mask to both and was so grateful to see that the staff were masked and gloved in both stores. It's nice to think that we are their people and they are ours, we care enough to protect ourselves and each other. So cool to live in a small town where you're on a first name basis with folks whose small businesses you visit.

Our weather has been in the 60's the past few days. I know...snow on Sunday...that's Springtime in the Rockies. I've been taking projects outside to paint. Been working on some weaving and my online class. All things considered, I am loving being told to stay at home.

I know there are people in our communities suffering and dying. I know that there is loss "out there". But, I have to say that I haven't felt this much peace in such a long time. Probably because it puts me in the zone and I'm better there.

So get this. You know how Italy was singing off the balconies in their neighborhoods? Colorado has started something like that. At 8 pm we howl to thank first responders and the medical community. Yes, I said howl. So out here in the sticks, when the people start howling the dogs start howling. I wonder if the coyotes are tripped out by that?

I hope everyone here has made their adjustment to homebody life. I hope you and yours are doing well. I hope you all stay healthy--mind, body and spirit!

flower

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum