Mormon Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mormon Discussions

Mormon Discussions...because we all want the truth.Here is a place of free discussion. Whether you want to discuss the finer intricacies of doctrine, or whether you want to discuss the truthiness of the church in general, your word will be heard here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Conference Thread

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1General Conference Thread Empty General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:32 pm

consiglieri

consiglieri

Elder Packer is speaking.

Several urchin stories.

Which of course leads to his meme that children should be raised by a mother and a father and that nothing else can be a replacement.

Also I question the phrase (more and more repeated) that we "apply the atonment."

The atonement is not a band-aid or ointment to be applied, in my opinion.

It is something that must be eaten and drank and become a part of us. It heals from the inside out, not from the outside in.

Maybe picky, but it wouldn't bother me so much except for its repeated usage.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

2General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:55 pm

consiglieri

consiglieri

Now there is a Seventies President giving what appears to be a politally correct and theologically correlated version of Elder Poelman's 1984 talk.

3General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:27 pm

consiglieri

consiglieri

Elder Oaks is droning at present.

No mention of the SCMC so far.

But there does seem to be an awful lot of self-congratulatory patting the Church on the back this session.

4General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:09 pm

AdminLiz

AdminLiz
Admin

We are listening to it on delay. We DVR'd it and I am currently listening to President Packer.

I will let you know my thoughts a little later.

https://mormondiscussions.forumotion.com

5General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Ms. Jack

Ms. Jack

I was pretty annoyed with Oaks' claim that Mormons sacrifice more in their day-to-day lives than other Christians.

Also, I find that sort of extensive self-adulation weird and off-putting.

http://www.weighted-glory.com

6General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:48 pm

bcspace

bcspace

Now there is a Seventies President giving what appears to be a politally correct and theologically correlated version of Elder Poelman's 1984 talk.

Does it contradict the original?

7General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:54 pm

lululu

bcspace wrote:

Does it contradict the original?

Speaking of questions, bcspace:

bcspace wrote:
Your claim that general authorities aren't ministers springs immediately to mind.

When you come up with something to gainsay the typical definition I used, let me know.

bcspace: Is Thomas S. Monson a minister?

"Today, as President Monson ministers throughout the world . . ."

Source: Official Biography, Official Church Website, Officially Published by the Church, that being the Official Standard

That and a couple of other questions you've never answered, Mr. My Apologetics Are Too Strong

Now watch bcspace duck.

8General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:56 pm

AdminLiz

AdminLiz
Admin

Ms. Jack wrote:I was pretty annoyed with Oaks' claim that Mormons sacrifice more in their day-to-day lives than other Christians.

Also, I find that sort of extensive self-adulation weird and off-putting.

I missed that. I remember him talking about the amount of meetings that we used to have as compared to now, but I don't recall a quote where he said that Mormons sacrifice more than other Christians. I have it DVR'd. I will have to listen to that talk again.

https://mormondiscussions.forumotion.com

9General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 pm

consiglieri

consiglieri

Who was the guy in the afternoon session who talked about the unnamed scholar during the McKay administration who said the Book of Mormon was such good Hebrew, he joined the Church?

I honestly believe this is a faith promoting rumor, though I would be happy to be proven wrong on that.

I mean, the best this scholar could come up with is "it came to pass" all over the place in the BOM is evidence of antiquity?

The lack of a name or any other identifying characteristics about this scholar is suggestive.

Maybe this GA is the next Paul Dunn?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

10General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:44 am

bcspace

bcspace

Now watch bcspace duck.

Nope. Watch bcspace stick to the actual definition (how does Monson minister compared to the local ministry?) and note DHO's talk same day.

11General Conference Thread Empty Re: General Conference Thread Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:48 am

bcspace

bcspace

Who was the guy in the afternoon session who talked about the unnamed scholar during the McKay administration who said the Book of Mormon was such good Hebrew, he joined the Church?

Perhaps DCP or Royal Skousen know:

www dot deseretnews dot com/article/705386489/Daniel-Peterson-Poor-English-but-good-Hebrew-2-a-divine-hint-of-Book-of-Mormon-truth.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]